Thursday, January 21, 2010

Brew Day #2 - Robust Porter



Second brew day of 2010, and a rare mid-week brew. Today I'm making a Robust Porter, BJCP category 12B. Robust Porter is unquestionably one of my favorite beer styles. If I could have only one style of beer for the rest of my days...well it probably wouldn't be  Robust Porter. But if I could have THREE styles, then Robust Porter makes my list. Commercial examples would be Deschutes Black Butte Porter, Sierra Nevada Porter, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, or Bell's Porter. My beer of course will taste nothing like those beers.

Grains (Mash at 152):

12 lb American 2-Row
1.5 lbs Munich
1.5 lbs Crystal 40
1 lb Chocolate Malt
10 oz Black Patent

Hop Additions:
2.5 oz East Kent Goldings (4.9) 60 minutes
1 oz East Kent Goldings (4.9) 15 minutes
1 oz East Kent Goldings (4.5) post boil

Yeast is WLP0002 (White Labs English Ale), Ferment at 66

Estimated OG 1.066
SRM ~30
IBU's  45

Just about 5 hours from starting the Mash water to pitching the yeast.




2 comments:

brian spaulding said...

Looks good Ken.

Can't wait for the huge brewday Saturday.

Stunned Monkey said...

I'm going to bring a small sample of the Maibock for Kyle to try on Saturday, even though it's not really ready for serving yet. I'll make sure you get a taste. Not happy with it though. Way too sweet, as I feared. Oh well.